Home | Imprint Philippines,culture,cities,tourism,provinces,beach,holiday

Philippine Islands

 philippine islands, philippinen insel 
Negros Oriental
Province
Island Group Visayas
Region Central Visayas
Capital Dumaguete City
Area 5,385.53 km²
Cities 6
Municipalities 19
Population
- Total 1,231,904
- Density/km² 228.74
Income class 1
Location in the Philippines:

Negros Oriental

Negros Oriental, also called Eastern Negros, is a province of the Philippines. It occupies the south-eastern half of the island of Negros, with Negros Occidental comprising the north-western half. A chain of rugged mountains separates Negros Oriental from Negros Occidental. Unlike its sister province, which belongs to the Western Visayas region, Negros Oriental belongs to the Central Visayas region. Dumaguete is the provincial capital and the most populous city in the province.

Negros Oriental faces Cebu to the east across the Tañon Strait and Siquijor to the east. It is bordered by Sulu Sea to the south. The province’s topography is characterized by low, grooved mountain ranges which lie close to the shoreline. At the northern end of the province is an active volcano, Mount Canlaon, which is the highest peak in the island with a height of 2465 meters.

Cebuano is the primary language spoken by about 95% of the population in the province. Hiligaynon is spoken by the remaining 5% in areas close to the border with Negros Occidental. The predominant religion in the province is Christianity with Roman Catholicism as the biggest denomination.

Negros Oriental has a tropical climate. The province is sheltered from the full impact of typhoons originating from the southwest because of the mountain range running from the north to the south. It also has two climatic regions because of the mountain range. The eastern part of the province is characterized by unpronounced rainfall with a short dry season lasting from one to three months. The western half of the province is characterized by a distinct wet and dry season.

Negros Oriental’s major industry is agriculture because of its vast fertile land resources. The primary crops are sugarcane, corn, coconut and rice. Fishing is the main source of income in the coastal area. People are also involved in cattle ranches, fish ponds and logging. The province is also rich in mineral deposits like gold, silver and copper.

Negros Oriental is becoming a notable tourist destination in the Visayas. One of the landmarks of the province is the Dumaguete Bell Tower which stands next to the St. Catherine of Alexandria Cathedral. The tower was once used to warn the city of impending pirate attacks. Apo Island is a famous destination for both local and foreign tourists because of its dive site. Each town in Negros Oriental celebrates an annual town fiesta. The Buglasan Festival which is hailed as Negros Oriental’s “festival of festivals” is celebrated annually in October in Dumaguete City. It is a week-long celebration which showcases the unique booths and native products of each town and city in Negros Oriental.

The most populous cities and municipalities in Negros Oriental are:

City/Municipality City class Area
in km²
Income
class
Urbanisation Population
Total Density/km²
Dumaguete City Component City 33.62 3 urban 116,392 3,461.99
City Of Bayawan (Tulong) Component City 699.08 2 partly urban 110,250 157.71
City Of Guihulngan Component City 388.56 0 partly urban 91,358 235.12
City Of Tanjay Component City 276.05 4 partly urban 78,539 284.51
Bais City Component City 319.64 3 partly urban 74,702 233.71
Santa Catalina Municipality 523.10 1 partly urban 72,629 138.84
Mabinay Municipality 319.44 1 partly urban 70,548 220.85
Siaton Municipality 335.90 1 partly urban 67,943 202.27
Canlaon City Component City 170.93 4 partly urban 50,208 293.73
Sibulan Municipality 163.00 2 partly urban 47,162 289.34



Advertising

Copyright © 2010 - 2014 Alojado Publishing International. All rights reserved. Created 19.04.14 17:16:17 by www.philippine-islands.ph
Philippines, poeple & country, culture, history, everyday life and tourism. Music, video & galleries.