City Of Antipolo
Antipolo is a first class component city in the province of Rizal belonging in Region IV-A-A or the CALABRAZON Region in the Philippines. It prides itself as the "Pilgrimage Capital of the Philippines" because it is home to the renowned miraculous image of the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.
Antipolo is a landlocked city situated about 25 kilometers east of Manila. Its boundaries are the towns of San Mateo and Rodriguez in the north; Tanay in the east; Angono, Taytay and Teresa in the south; and in the west is Cainta and Marikina City. It is found on the slopes of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range occupying a total land area of 306.10 square kilometers. Antipolo has the second largest area in the entire Rizal province and is inhabited by some 677,741 people.
The city derived its name from tipolo (breadfruit) tree (Artocarpus incisa) which was abundant in the area. It was the Franciscan missionaries who first arrived in the area and established a church in Boso-boso. But it was the Jesuits who organized the village in 1591 and in 1650 the village became a town and became part of Tondo province. On February 4, 1998, Antipolo, with its 16 barangays, became a component city of the province of Rizal.
Because of its close proximity to Manila, Antipolo is an accessible getaway for people who wish to take a breather from the heat and dust of the metro and feel the refreshing mountain breeze and try numerous bonding activities. The city certainly lives up to its title as the ‘Pilgrimage Capital of the Philippines” as it offers a distinct pilgrimage experience that one will surely remember.
So, your trip to Antipolo will never be complete without visiting the revered grounds of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage Church (Nuestra Señora dela Paz y Buen Viaje) located at the very heart of the city’s center. People from all walks of life flocked to this church especially during Good Friday and month of May to pay homage to the Virgin Mary.
The image was brought from Acapulco, New Spain (now Mexico) on March 25, 1626 by Governor General Juan Niño de Tabora and was handed over to the Jesuits for Antipolo’s Church. When the Recollects took over in 1864, the Virgin of Antipolo gained devotees from Manila and nearby towns and provinces. They flocked to Antipolo on foot or on hammocks, trekking along mountain trails and springs.
Another pilgrim attraction in Antipolo is the Boso-Boso Church which is a remnant of a centuries-old church. It was first built in 1700 under the Jesuits but was destroyed in 1880 by an earthquake. In 1943, it was devastated by fire and it was only in 1995 that it was restored back to its original design and construction. At present, the church continues to possess its full grandeur which will give visitors nostalgic flashbacks of the Spanish era.
Antipolo was traditionally known for its Hinulugang Taktak Falls, a waterfall which was once a popular summer get-away. The story of Hinulugang Taktak is as rich and colorful as that of the city itself. According to a legend, sometime in the 16th century, the townsfolk of Antipolo were disturbed by a church bell because of the harsh and unbearable loud sounds that it produced when it rung during Angelus. They demanded from the local priest to get rid of the bell. The priest, heeding the clamor of the people, had the bell dropped in a nearby river. This explains the present name, "Hinulugang Taktak" which means "where the bell was dropped."
As Antipolo gained popularity as a religious site, Hinulugang Taktak also became a major destination for bathing and sighseeing. It has been declared as a National Park by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. In 1990, it was also proclaimed as a National Historical Shrine. At present, the area is being restored to become again one of the city’s primary attractions.
Another interesting place in the city is the Via Dolorosa, formerly known as "The White Cross". It is a grotto-like hill which is a very spectacular pilgrim site because of the presence of an enormous white cross and an outsized image of the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage on top of a hill.
Various delicacies and dishes of Antipolo will surely satisfy the hungry tummies of its visitors. Suman (sticky rice) and its locally grown mangoes and kasuy (cashew) are popular among tourists. Stalls selling different delicacies abound everywhere so it’s easy to find whenever visitors want to buy pasalubongs for their loved ones.
Administratively the Component City of City Of Antipolo is subdivided into 16 barangays. 4 compose the center of the city wheras the other 12 are in the outlying areas. Some of them are even several kilometers away from the center of the Component City. The most populous are Beverly Hills, Calawis, San Juan, Muntingdilaw, Inarawan, Dalig, Bagong Nayon, Mambugan, San Luis, Mayamot, Santa Cruz, San Roque (Pob.), San Isidro (Pob.), Dela Paz (Pob.), Cupang.
Among the bigger cities and municipalities in the neighborhood of City Of Antipolo there are Caloocan City (Third District) 22 km west-north-west, Quezon City (Second District) 14 km west-north-west, City Of Valenzuela (Third District) 25 km west-north-west, City Of Pasig (Second District) 8 km west, City Of Manila (First District) 16 km west, Taguig City (Fourth District) 9 km west-south-west, City Of Dasmariñas (Cavite) 38 km south-west, City Of Las Piñas (Fourth District) 22 km west-south-west, City Of Parañaque (Fourth District) 20 km west-south-west as well as 25 km south-south-west of City Of Antipolo the component city City Of Muntinlupa (Fourth District).